COVID-19 | Government Support For Individuals

The government has published a number of measures to support individuals during the current coronavirus outbreak. If you’re unsure of your next best step, contact our free advice helpline on 020 7183 8241.

Statutory Sick Pay

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) is available for eligible individuals diagnosed with COVID-19 or those who are unable to work because they are self-isolating in line with government advice. This is in addition to the change announced by the Prime Minister that SSP will be payable from day 1 instead of day 4 for affected individuals.

Sick notes from 111






People who are advised to self-isolate for COVID-19 can now obtain an alternative to the fit note to cover this by contacting NHS 111, rather than visiting a doctor. This can be used by employees where their employers require evidence. 

Support for the self-employed

Those who:

  • Submitted a tax return for the tax year 2018-19
  • Are a self-employed individual or member of a partnership
  • Intend to continue to trade in the next tax year

will be eligible for the Self-Employed Income Support Scheme. To see how much you could be entitled to once the scheme is live, click here.

Those who do not qualify will need to apply for Universal Credit, or one of the Business Interruption Loans on offer. A member of our team can help you decide which is best.

Hardship Fund

The government has announced a new £500 million Hardship Fund so Local Authorities can support economically vulnerable people and households. The government expects most of this funding to be used to provide more council tax relief, either through existing Local Council Tax Support schemes, or through similar measures.



Problem paying tax

If you fall behind paying your taxes HMRC should be approached to organise a staggered repayment plan – based on your reduced capacity to meet any payments due. As this quarter’s VAT payments have been deferred until June, you WILL need to cancel your Direct Debit in order to delay payment. This is the only action you are required to take.

And finally, if you need more information on any of these issues please call.